What types of visas exits? How long is the visa? How can visas be requested and what requirements must be met for the application?

Australia ETA and eVisitor – Information guide

All you need to apply e-Visa for Australia

Are you thinking about traveling to Australia? Here you will find all the information you need to apply for the correct tourist visa, including the difference between the ETA visa and the eVisitor, placed simply and clearly.

For any questions, consult our  FAQ  page – or contact us using the appropriate form!

To start: what visa do you need?

The first step necessary to come to Australia is to get permission to enter the country, even before booking the flight or choosing the hotel. This requires the Australian government to issue a special tourist visa. There are two types of Visa suitable for tourist trips, or for business visits, but not for paid work : ETA Visa and the eVisitor.

Australia Visa Guide

eVisitor Visa (Subclass 651)

The eVisitor visa or Subclass 651 tourist visa,  is dedicated to travelers whose passport has been issued by a European country among those listed in this list:

Eligible countries for eVisitor request

The eVisitor is valid for one year and allows a maximum stay of three months in Australia. It exists in two variants:

  • The TOURIST visa Australia eVisitor

    allows you to visit Australia for tourism, meet friends and relatives who live there, and take study courses at local institutions – provided the

  • The BUSINESS Australia Visa eVisitor

    allows you to carry out market research and surveys with local companies, and negotiate or sign work contracts – also in view of future collaborations. You can also do home and work searches – with a view to a subsequent transfer – and attend conferences and events, as long as you do not get a reward.

As regards voluntary work, both visas are allowed, provided that three conditions are met:

  • Voluntary work must be a consequence of one’s presence as a tourist; tourism must remain the main purpose of the trip to Australia.

  • The service as a volunteer must be strictly unpaid: only limited reimbursement of meals, accommodation and transport is granted;

  • Voluntary work carried out must not be carried out by an Australian resident for a fee.

IN NO EVENT, and with neither of the two types of eVisitor visas, it is allowed to perform any paid work: for this there are other special visas.

Having clarified this, the eVisitor visa application procedures are not complex. You can get it if :

  • Your visit to Australia is temporary, for tourism or business in a generic sense;

  • You are outside Australia when you apply;

  • You have a passport deemed suitable for this type of visa;

  • You are not afflicted with tuberculosis;

  • You have not suffered (in any country) any conviction leading to an incarceration of more than 12 months. If you’ve ever been subjected to a criminal conviction, you need a different visa, the Visitor Visa subclass 600.

Note that your Visa eVisitor is matched, in digital form, to the passport number that indicates on the request: if, before leaving, you change your passport (for loss, for example) you have to repeat the procedure. This does not apply if you get the new passport from your consulate or your embassy while you are already in Australian territory: in this case you will not have to do anything about the visa.

Remember also that every request for a Visa eVisitor (for example due to expiry, or for a compilation error) replaces and deletes the previous one. Furthermore, you can not apply for an eVisitor visa if you are already in Australia, for example to extend your stay: this visa is not extensible, and you will have to apply at that point to a Visitor Visa, subclass 600.

Finally, if you already have another type of Visa for Australia, contact an immigration office before submitting your request for an eVisitor, because the latter would replace – with a possible worsening of the conditions – the Visa you already have.

PLEASE NOTE: every single visitor in Australia must have his own visa. This means that if you are traveling with partners and children – even children or babies – for each of them a visa eVisitor must be requested separately.

How to request your eVisitor visa

The request for this visa can only be made online, by filling out the appropriate form. Make sure you have your passport ready, your email address, and your credit card.

Follow these steps :

  • You must complete a separate eVisitor application form for EVERY member of the group you travel with, including partners, children and babies – even if they are registered on your passport.

  • After completing the application and submitting your request, you will receive an e-mail summarizing the details of the request. Make sure that you have indicated the e-mail address correctly. Three times out of four, the answer comes in the day, while in the vast majority of remaining cases it takes up to three days. The wait can however become much longer in some cases, especially if the Australian government requires additional documents or information, such as photos, bank statements or similar. In that case we will contact you immediately.

  • Upon approval of the visa application, you will receive an email with the subject “ETA-eVisitor document” in which all the conditions of the visa will be summarized, as well as a copy of the approved visa, headed “VISA GRANT NOTICE”. Keep the latter, because it contains the grant number, the validity date, and the conditions to be met for your eVisitor visa.

Here is a example of the document authorizing the trip to Australia. The visa is attached to the email you receive at the end of the application process :

If your visa application for Australia should be rejected, you will instead receive the reasons for the refusal – always by e-mail. At that point, to discuss the issue and try to get a visa, you will need to go to the nearest consulate or Australian embassy.
eVisitor tourist visa

ETA Visa (Subclass 601)

Now let’s move on to the other type of tourist visa for Australia.

The ETA visa – subclass 601 – is dedicated to travelers whose passport has been issued by one of the countries on this list:

Countries eligible for ESTA visa for Australia

Even with the ETA visa you can enter Australia for both tourism and business, limited to certain activities; the duration is also here a year, but the ETA visa is multiple entry, and therefore allows you to return to Australia as often as you wish during the validity – but for a maximum period of 3 months at a time . You can extend the duration of your stay, once you are already in Australia, asking for a Visitor Visa tourist visa, subclass 600. Also the ETA visa has two types, one for tourism and one for business, equivalent to those of eVisitor :

  • The ETA TOURISM Visa for Australia :

    allows you to visit Australia for tourism, meet friends and relatives who live there, and take study courses at local institutions – provided they are no longer than 3 months;

  • The BUSINESS Australia ETA visa :

    allows you to carry out market research and surveys with local companies, and negotiate or sign work contracts – also in view of future collaborations. You can also do home and work searches – for a later transfer – and participate in similar conferences and events, as long as you do not get a reward.

Also in this case – note well – the ETA visa does not allow you to work: to carry out work in Australia you need different types of visas, as you can read on our page FAQ.

Also for the ETA visa the request procedure is very simple. The requirements that you must meet are identical to those of eVisitor :

  • Your visit to Australia is temporary, for tourism or business in a generic sense;

  • You are outside Australia when you apply;

  • You have a passport deemed suitable for this type of visa;

  • You are not afflicted with tuberculosis;

  • You have not suffered (in any country) any conviction leading to an incarceration of more than 12 months. If you’ve ever been subjected to a criminal conviction, you need a different visa, the Visitor Visa subclass 600.

Also the ETA Australia visa is completely digital, and does not provide physical markings on your passport: if the request is accepted, the visa will be electronically matched to the passport number you provided with the request, and will automatically appear at the departure terminals. This of course means that if you change your passport before leaving for any reason, you will have to submit a new request.

How to request your ETA visa

Also for the ETA visa you can fill out the form on our website. You will find the information you need to fill in your passport: take the utmost care in completing the form, because providing false or incorrect data in this procedure is tantamount to a crime. Remember that you must request a separate visa for each member of the group of travelers, even if part of your family, including babies and children. You will receive an email response from the competent authorities when your visa will be issued, with all the conditions and the reference number indicated in the attachment. Normally the release does not take more than a few hours, apart from rare cases.

Here is a example of the ETA visa that will be attached to the email you will receive at the end of the application process:

How to check the validity of Australian Visa

There are two ways to ensure that your Australian visa is valid: you can check the e-mail received when it is issued, or use the VEVO website, where you can enter the visa transaction number (shown on the document) and your passport number.

The Australian Custom and the “Passenger Card”

An approved tourist visa is necessary to enter Australia – but it is not enough to grant you access. It is still necessary to consider issues related to customs and passenger card.

Australian Custom

The Australian customs laws, in fact, are particularly rigid, because they have to protect a unique and very delicate ecosystem in the world; in addition to this, there are all the laws common to other countries regarding dangerous objects and substances, such as weapons or drugs. The first checks are carried out already at the start. You will need to fill out the PASSENGER CARD, which will be given to you by the on-board staff during the journey and which must be completed. It is a self-certification of all that you are bringing with you to Australia, and must of course be filled out truthfully.

Here you will see a copy of the document as a guide:

example copy of PASSENGER CARD

If you ever find yourself in doubt about any question, always answer Yes: you can then clarify. In case you have articles with you that declare but that a control should be considered dangerous, you can decide if

  • Destroy them immediately, at no cost

  • Have them treated to make them safe, paying the relative costs

  • Leave them on deposit at the airport and collect them on departure.

We recommend, once again, to always declare entirely what you bring with you.
If undeclared items were found at a check, you could be subject to a fine of $340 Australian dollars, or a complaint for prohibited items and substances. The Australian Border Force agents, who will check the documents and after the baggage collection, will guide you on arrival in Australia. They will be able, at their discretion, to stop you for an additional check.

Goods with limited quantities:
the Duty Free

International travelers with a regular visa to Australia have a specific exemption for certain goods that they are importing, as long as they are limited in quantity. The list is as follows:

  • Personal clothing and footwear (but fur garments are excluded);

  • Articles for personal care (but concentrates of perfumes are excluded);

  • All goods brought to Australia and which will be returned outside the country upon departure;

  • Various items up to a total of $ 900 Australian per adult and $ 450 Australian per child (excluding alcohol and tobacco) *

  • A maximum of 2.25 liters of alcoholic beverages for any age;

  • A maximum of 25 grams of tobacco or 25 cigarettes, plus an open pack of cigarettes, for each adult.

* Please note: this limitation is much discussed, given that in reality the value of the only electronic equipment commonly brought with it by a tourist, such as cell phones and laptops, definitely exceeds this figure. The most common interpretation is that the total refers to expenses made in the Duty Free of airports and foreign ports.

Health insurance

The stipulation of health insurance is recommended for all visitors to the country who have a regular visa, and in particular for those over 75 years of age. The insurance can be underwritten both in Australia and in your country, with the exception of holders of a Student visa, which must obligatorily stipulate it with an Australian company.

The Australian national health system, Medicare, does not cover foreign citizens unless there are mutual assistance agreements with the countries of origin. This gives them access to medical care and treatment in hospitals and public facilities, as well as prescription medications, for a period of six months from arrival in Australia or until the expiry of the Electronic Visa.

Medicare does not cover all the services in any case, and it is therefore advisable to subscribe anyway an insurance policy in any case, so as to be protected in any case.


All non-prescription drugs (aspirin, paracetamol, and the like) are permitted, without declarations. In addition, prescription drugs can be introduced if carried in the carry-on baggage, in the original packaging, and accompanied by the doctor’s prescription, with the indication of the pathology, and possibly translated into English. The amount of the latter must correspond to a cure time of no more than three months, ie the maximum stay in Australia granted by the visa. This particular exemption of the Passenger also allows the importation of normally forbidden medicines, such as sedatives, antibiotics and painkillers, provided they are always accompanied by prescription.

Finally, certain categories of medicines and medical equipment must obtain permission from the Therapeutic Goods Administration to be allowed to enter the country.



Any amount of currency can be imported into Australia, as long as sums exceeding 10000 Australian dollars are declared.


Access to Australia does not require vaccination, unless you have been in risky countries in the six days prior to arrival. There are also special cases: for example, if you come from or have spent more than four weeks in Afghanistan, Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Nigeria, or Pakistan, a vaccination against polio is highly recommended before you leave for Australia.


exceeding the threshold, the taxes will be due on the whole quantity, not on the surplus. In this case, proof of purchase will be provided to an employee for the calculation of the tax due, or you will incur administrative penalties. Families can group exempt goods, if they are on the same flight

Enter in Australia with other types of Visa

  • Tourist visa, subclass 600

    Travelers who can not apply for an ETA or eVisitor visa, for example because they come from countries that do not allow it, must apply for a Visitor Visa. This allows a stay in Australia of a maximum of 12 months in a period of 24 months, and has a duration established by the authorities and which can reach a maximum of 10 years. It is also the type of visa to be requested if you are already in Australia with an ETA visa and want to extend your stay.

  • Student Visa

    This is the ideal visa for those who want to study full-time at an educational institution in Australia: it has a maximum duration of 5 years, and in any case for the entire duration of the course. It also allows you to do a part-time job to cover the costs of residency in the area. To maintain the visa, a minimum attendance of 80% is required for classes for high school or English, while there are no requests to do so for university courses and masters. Minors and those with their own family can include their family members in this visa and be accompanied by them, with the necessary documentation.

    The cost of this visa is 560 dollars, and is issued in a time between 13 and 50 days. To obtain it, it is necessary to show that you are enrolled regularly in a course of study in Australia, with payment of registration fees, books and health insurance. The visa can also be requested as an extension of another Australian visa, because it can also be applied on the Australian territory.

  • Working Holiday Visa, subclass 417

    It is a temporary visa developed to facilitate cultural exchanges by combining long vacations and work. It is reserved for young people between 18 and 31 years, it lasts one year and allows you to work in Australia; it is renewable for a second year provided that you have worked for at least 88 days of the first year of visa in a rural area, such as a farm. The aim is precisely to allow young people to explore the country by covering their own expenses with simple jobs.

    The request must be made online and, for the first visa, from outside Australia. It can be requested only once (excluding renewal) and requires to work with the same employer for no more than 6 consecutive months; it also allows the study but for a maximum of 4 months. The release cost is variable, and the times range between 12 and 40 days.

Other types of Australian visas

Fact Sheet – A necessary condition

Questions relating to the criminal situation, having committed the crimes, and the presence of convictions, which must be answered to fill out visa applications for Australia, are fundamental and always require an absolutely truthful answer. The absolutely necessary requirement for entry into the country is the compilation of the Character Requirement or Fact Sheet. A valid visa, in the absence of this requirement, will NOT be sufficient to guarantee entry.

The official in charge of assessing the visa application, in case of affirmative answers, may ask to provide additional documents, provided by the Court or the Police. In all likelihood, even if the visa is granted, you will then be subjected to additional checks on arrival, and entry may still be denied by Immigration agents, who may also cancel the visa.

  • He has a considerable criminal record

  • He was already expelled from Australia on a previous trip

  • He is a member of an organization suspected of having committed crimes

  • He is suspected of being guilty of smuggling

  • He was convicted of sexual offenses

An expulsion from the country for reasons of character will result in the IMMEDIATE cancellation of your visa, and will result in the absolute impossibility of obtaining another visa for Australia in the future.

What offers this site ( )

On our website, just a few minutes are enough to fill in the necessary forms and submit your visa application for Australia; we also have numerous immigration experts to answer any doubts and perplexities. In addition to this, our experts review every question we receive before forwarding it to the official channels; this allows you to find any errors in the compilation and submit them to those who made the request so as to correct them, by contacting them via e-mail.

The procedure you need to follow is very simple:

  • Complete your visa application

  • Ensure that the data are complete, correct and truthful

  • Send the visa application by completing the payment

  • Wait for your ETA visa or eVisitor to arrive!

Meanwhile, our team:

  • will check the correctness of the information you provided, looking for possible compilation errors

  • will verify expiration dates and release of your passport

  • will check that the sex has been correctly indicated

  • will check the selection of the country of citizenship and of the one that issued the document

  • will correct any typos

  • will verify possible compilation errors related to the differences in characters between the different languages

All to make the request as simple as possible, avoid errors of simple distraction, and maximize the speed with which you can get your tourist visa for Australia. For any questions, please use the contact form on our website!


This wesbite is not affiliated with the Australian Government website. is intended to help individuals and legal entities in their administrative travel paperwork. You can get your request on the official website of the Australian Embassy, with lower price, but without our help and assistance.

© JASATECH - VAT ID 07552901212 - N REA 892694 CC, All Rights Reserved

By using the site, you accept our use of cookies. more information

This site uses cookies to provide the best browsing experience possible. By continuing to use this site without changing your cookie settings or by clicking on "Accept", you allow their use.